The program intends to reduce the prevalence of blindness and deafness in the Bicol Region through preventive and curative intervention strategies. Screenings and education campaigns are conducted by SIMON and district partners in schools, communities and homes, alongside the provision of medicine, glasses and surgery when required.
- Curb the incidence of avoidable blindness and deafness through community education, capacity building and provision of access to eye and ear care services.
- Facilitate the setting up of referral system for eye and ear care services in the CBID areas.
- Persons with visual and hearing impairments
- Organization of Eye and Ear Care Committees
- Training of Barangay Health Workers/Community Rehabilitation Volunteers
- Community education on eye and ear care
- Eye and Ear Screenings in schools, communities and through home visits
- Distribution of reading glasses
- Referral of indigent client/family to partner doctors/hospitals/eye center
- Provision of financial assistance for medicine, eye glasses, hearing aids and surgery
- Evaluation of client needs
- Home visits
- Monitoring and evaluation
How the Program is Being Implemented:
- Partnership with the Local Government Units (LGUs) in the implementation of the program
- Provision of eye and ear care services with fund support from the LGUs
- Networking and coordination
- Local Government Units
- Barangay Officials, Health Workers and Volunteers
- Ophthalmologists, Optometrists and Ear Doctors
- Provincial Committee on Sight Preservation (PCSP)
- Department of Health (DOH)